- Northern Ireland
This qualification is not listed on the DfE 16 –19 performance tables.
The Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma in Playwork (NVQ) (QCF) is aimed at learners who are already working in a playwork setting and are seeking a supervisory role.
Settings could be out-of-school work (including afterschool or breakfast clubs) and seasonal holiday clubs.
Learners may already be working as playworkers or assistant playworkers or as children’s holiday representatives.
The qualification prepares learners for roles in management of play environments and as line managers of other staff.
It covers the knowledge and skills needed when working unsupervised and learners will need to demonstrate their managerial skills in the workplace.
It is aimed at experienced playworkers who have a wide knowledge and understanding of children and young people and now want to move on to a managerial role.
- Pearson Education Ltd
Learners must achieve a minimum 65 credits in total.
46 credits must come from the 13 mandatory units and a minimum of 19 credits from any of the 11 optional units.
- Understand How to Safeguard the Wellbeing of Children and Young People
- Understand How to Support Positive Outcomes for Children and Young People
- Understand Children and Young People’s Self-directed Play
- Understand the Organisational Framework for Play
- Understand Relationships in the Play Environment
- Understand Health, Safety and Security in the Play Environment
- Understand How to Plan for and Support Children and Young People’s Self-directed Play
- Contribute to an organisational framework that reflects the needs and protects the rights of children and young people
- Develop and maintain a healthy, safe and secure play environment for children and young people
- Develop and promote positive relationships in a play environment
- Plan for and support children and young people’s self-directed play
- Understand Playwork Principles
- Engage in personal development in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
- Work with colleagues in a playwork team
- Engage with parents, carers and families in a play environment
- Administer playwork provision
- Inclusive play, working with disabled children and young people
- Promote own organisation in the community
- Contribute to evaluating, developing and promoting services
- Organise and supervise travel
- Manage a budget
- Recruit, select and keep colleagues
- Provide learning opportunities for colleagues
- Allocate and monitor the progress and quality of work in own area of responsibility
- Level 3
UK Level 3 qualification regulated to the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF)
A levels are Level 3 qualifications regulated to the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF)
Level 3 is equivalent to the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework Level 6
 The QCF was a credit-based transfer system which recognised qualifications and units by awarding credits. It has now been withdrawn for all new qualifications.
 The RQF is the new system for cataloguing all qualifications regulated by Ofqual, indexing them by level and size.
Learners must pass all units.
They must achieve all of the specified learning outcomes and satisfy all of the assessment criteria.
To successfully achieve a unit the learner must gather a portfolio of evidence which shows they have met the required standard in the assessment criteria.
Evidence can take a variety of different forms including:
- direct observation of the learner’s performance by their assessor
- outcomes from oral or written questioning
- products of the learner’s work
- personal statements and reflective accounts
- outcomes from simulation, where permitted by the assessment strategy
- professional discussion
- assignment, project and case studies
- authentic statements and witness testimonies
- expert witness testimony
- evidence of Recognition of Prior Learning
All units must be passed.
There are no relative weightings as the qualification is pass only.
Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma in Playwork (NVQ) (QCF)
The operational start date for the qualification was 1 November 2011
Certification is on completion of the qualification which can be at any time.
This is a current qualification
12 students were certificated with this qualification in 2015
This qualification intends to prepare learners for employment in playwork environments in roles such adventure centre supervisor or as a manager of any playwork provision.
Learners can also progress to higher education, possibly in conjunction with other qualifications and/or to a foundation degree.
Further information may be found at: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/nvq-and-competence-based-qualifications/children-and-young-people/playwork-l3.html