- Northern Ireland
This qualification is not listed on the DfE 16 –19 performance tables.
The Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma in Building Services Engineering for Technicians (QCF) prepares learners for:
- Licentiate membership of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (LCIBSE)
- professional registration as an Engineering Technician with the Engineering Council
The qualification offers a programme of work-based study for building services engineering apprentices.
Building services involve the implementation and maintenance of, for example, heating, plumbing, security, lighting, air conditioning etc.
The qualification provides the competencies required for the design pathway within the Advanced Apprenticeship in Building Services Engineering Technology and Project Management Framework for Technicians.
- Pearson (Edexcel)
There are nine units, all of which are mandatory
- Techniques and Procedures for Building Services Engineering Tasks
- Developing Building Services Engineering Solutions
- Management and Leadership in Building Services Engineering
- Working Independently in Building Services Engineering
- Commercial Activities in Building Services Engineering
- Health, Safety and Welfare for Building Services Engineers
- Sustainable Development in Building Services Engineering
- Interpersonal Skills and Communication in Building Services Engineering
- Professional Values for Building Services Engineers
- Level 3
UK Level 3 qualification regulated to the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF)
A levels are Level 3 qualifications regulated to the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF)
Level 3 is equivalent to Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework Level 6
[ The QCF was a credit-based transfer system which recognised qualifications and units by awarding credits. It has now been withdrawn for all new qualifications.
 The RQF is the new system for cataloguing all qualifications regulated by Ofqual, indexing them by level and size.
The assessment requirements were developed by the Chartered Institution of Building Service Engineers (CIBSE) in partnership with employers, training providers, the sector skills council, the awarding organisation and the regulatory authorities.
The overall grade for the qualification is a Pass. The learner must achieve all the required units within the specified qualification structure.
To pass a unit the learner must:
- achieve all the specified learning outcomes
- satisfy all the assessment criteria by providing sufficient and valid evidence for each criterion
- show that the evidence is their own
The qualifications are designed to be assessed:
- in the workplace or
- in conditions resembling the workplace, as specified in the assessment requirements and strategy for the sector, or
- as part of a training programme
All units must be passed.
There are no relative weightings as the qualification is pass only.
Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma in Building Services Engineering for Technicians (QCF)
The operational start date for the qualification was 1 November 2011.
Certification is on completion of the qualification which can be completed at any time.
This qualification is current.
Four students certificated this qualification in 2015.
Learners can progress to the Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Construction.
The Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Construction and Built Environment (Building Services Engineering) is available as the related knowledge component qualification in the Advanced Apprenticeship in Building Services Engineering Technology and Project Management.
Progression will also be possible to Foundation Degrees, BSc and BEng degrees in construction and building services engineering.
Ultimately learners can progress to MEng and MSc.