Vocational qualifications are either work-related qualifications designed to enable students to gain the skills required to perform a particular job, or qualifications that may be taken as part of a wider study programme or an apprenticeship.
Schools and colleges may offer qualifications that are not included in the DfE performance tables, if approved for teaching to 16-19 year olds by the Secretary of State for Education in England under Section 96, where this is in the best interests of individual students.
The LRN Level 3 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ELTAB) is designed for students who have limited or no experience of teaching English language. The qualification is an intensive programme of study which enables candidates to gain a recognised teaching qualification, with a focus on those wishing to specialise in teaching English to either speakers of other languages, or for those who wish to teach English Language. The ELTAB provides students with an internationally recognised qualification that proves their language teaching abilities.
The qualification is suitable for students new to teaching who wish to build their confidence and skills. The ELTAB is also suitable for those who are experienced in teaching and wish to consolidate their skills and experience. The additional benefit to students achieving this qualification is that it provides the ability to specialise in a certain area. The ELTAB qualification is also a good foundation for candidates who wish to study for a further qualification in teaching English.
Pass or Fail.
The assessment consists of the following:
- Units 1 and 2 are assessed by written assessments, which are externally set and marked by LRN;
- Unit 3 is assessed by one lesson observation and a teaching practice portfolio. This is internally marked by the centre against criteria issued by LRN and moderated by LRN.
LRN will follow its standardisation policy to ensure its own assessments (by examiners) and those carried out by centre staff (against criteria set by LRN) are applied consistently, fairly, and accurately.
There are a number of key considerations for HEPs when reviewing vocational qualifications that are not listed on the DfE 16 – 19 performance tables for England:
- Some of these qualifications are occupational, and may not be designed specifically for progression to HE.
- Applicants holding these qualifications may be school or college leavers, however, some may be more mature students who are likely to have other relevant experience alongside these qualifications.
- These qualifications may have been taken as part of a wider study programme or an apprenticeship.
- If they are presented for admission to HE it is likely to be in conjunction with other qualifications.
Higher education providers can expect to receive applications from UK and overseas students holding the LRN Level 3 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ELTAB).
Qualification specification: LRN Level 3 Certificate in teaching English to Speakers of other Languages (ELTAB).