Vocational qualifications are either work-related qualifications designed to enable students to gain the skills required to perform a particular job, or qualifications that may be taken as part of a wider study programme or an apprenticeship.
Schools and colleges may offer qualifications that are not included in the DfE performance tables, if approved for teaching to 16-19 year olds by the Secretary of State for Education in England under Section 96, where this is in the best interests of individual students.
The LRN Level 3 Certificate in Business Management is designed to help students develop their understanding and knowledge of business.
LRN recognises that candidates for this qualification will be at different stages of their career development. Some will be experienced business managers who wish to consolidate and extend their skills in particular areas. Some will be comparatively inexperienced and seek to extend their skills generally, whereas some may be new or potential small business managers, perhaps with experience in a related profession, who are now seeking to transfer those skills to the context of business management.
Pass or Fail.
The assessment consists of written assignments, which are externally set and marked by LRN. There is also an online multiple choice examination, which is set and marked by LRN.
The marking of assignments is carried out in accordance with completion of the learning outcomes and the assessment criteria listed in the assignments. To ensure a rigorous quality assurance model is applied, each of the marked assignments is moderated.
There are a number of key considerations for HEPs when reviewing vocational qualifications that are not listed on the DfE 16 – 19 performance tables for England:
- Some of these qualifications are occupational, and may not be designed specifically for progression to HE.
- Applicants holding these qualifications may be school or college leavers, however, some may be more mature students who are likely to have other relevant experience alongside these qualifications.
- These qualifications may have been taken as part of a wider study programme or an apprenticeship.
- If they are presented for admission to HE it is likely to be in conjunction with other qualifications.
In respect of this qualification:
- Higher education providers can expect to receive applications from UK and overseas students holding the LRN Level 3 Certificate in Business Management.