Vocational qualifications are either work-related qualifications designed to enable students to gain the skills required to perform a particular job, or qualifications that may be taken as part of a wider study programme or an apprenticeship.
Schools and colleges may offer qualifications that are not included in the DfE performance tables, if approved for teaching to 16-19 year olds by the Secretary of State for Education in England under Section 96, where this is in the best interests of individual students.
The LRN Level 3 Award in Education and Training (ETAB) is designed for students who have limited or no experience of teaching. The qualification is an intensive programme of study which will enable candidates to gain a recognised teaching qualification, with a focus for those wishing to specialise in teaching.
The LRN Level 3 Award in Education and Training (ETAB) is a short course designed to enable a wide range of students to undertake teaching, training, or learning tasks relevant to their own training or teaching situation.
Pass or Fail.
The qualification is assessed by a combination of:
- assignments set and marked by LRN
- observation of teaching or training – the teaching is a simulation of teaching (micro-teaching) to peers on the course (referred to as a 30-minute micro-teach), marked by the centre and moderated by LRN
There are a number of key considerations for HEPs when reviewing vocational qualifications that are not listed on the DfE 16 – 19 performance tables for England:
- Some of these qualifications are occupational, and may not be designed specifically for progression to HE.
- Applicants holding these qualifications may be school or college leavers, however, some may be more mature students who are likely to have other relevant experience alongside these qualifications.
- These qualifications may have been taken as part of a wider study programme or an apprenticeship.
- If they are presented for admission to HE it is likely to be in conjunction with other qualifications.
Higher education providers can expect to receive applications from UK and overseas applicants holding the LRN Level 3 Award in Education and Training (ETAB).