To provide an advanced qualification recognised worldwide, which can support progression to higher education internationally.
The Cambridge International AS level has been available internationally in its current format for over 15 years.
Taught by over 2,500 schools in 130 countries.
- Cambridge International Examinations
The qualifications are not regulated by Ofqual, and does not appear on the Register of Regulated Qualifications.
For AS level: Cambridge offers only a linear structure of assessment, with terminal exams offered at the end of the course.
There are twio options for learners:
- Learners take the Cambridge International AS level only. The syllabus content for Cambridge International AS level is half of a Cambridge International A level programme.
- Learners take the Cambridge International AS level in Year 1, and in Year 2 complete the Cambridge International A level.
- 9706 - Accounting
- 9679 – Afrikaans
- 9713 - Applied Information and Communication Technology
- 9680 - Arabic
- 9704 - Art and Design
- 9700 - Biology
- 9609 - Business
- 9701 - Chemistry
- 8681 (AS level), 9715 (A level) - Chinese
- 9274 - Classical Studies
- 9608 - Computer Science
- 9705 - Design and Technology
- 9631 - Design and Textiles
- 9011 - Divinity
- 9708 - Economics
- 9093 - English Language
- 9695 - English Literature
- 8291 - Environmental Management (AS level only)
- 9336 - Food Studies
- 8682 (AS level), 9716 (A level) – French Language
- 8670 - French Literature (AS level only)
- 8004 - General Paper (AS level only)
- 9696 - Geography
- 8683 (AS level), 9717 (A level) - German
- 9239 - Global Perspectives and Research
- 8687 (AS level), 9687 (A level) - Hindi Language
- 8675 - Hindi Literature (AS level only)
- 9014 - Hinduism
- 9389 - History
- 9626 - Information Technology
- 8053 (AS level), 9013 (A level) - Islamic Studies
- 8281 - Japanese Language (AS level only)
- 9084 - Law
- 9693 - Marine Science
- 9709 - Mathematics
- 9231 - Mathematics (Further)
- 9607 - Media Studies
- 9703 - Music
- 8024 - Nepal Studies (AS level only)
- 9396 - Physical Education
- 8780 - Physical Science
- 9702 - Physics
- 8684 (AS level), 9718 (A level) – Portuguese Language
- 8672 - Portuguese Literature (AS level only)
- 9698 - Psychology
- 9699 - Sociology
- 8685 (AS level), 9719 (A level) - Spanish Language
- 8673 - Spanish Literature (AS level only)
- 9689 - Tamil
- 9694 - Thinking Skills
- 9395 - Travel and Tourism
- 8686 (AS level), 9676 (A level) - Urdu
- 9686 - Urdu, Pakistan only
- Level 3
Comparable to Level 3 of the Regulatory Frameworks in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Cambridge International AS level is graded A – E.
Cambridge International AS level is typically one year.
Students can choose to:
- take the Cambridge International AS level as a certified qualification or
- proceed to the A level. AS level assessment can count 50% towards the A level grade.
The syllabus content is half a Cambridge International A level.
Subjects are externally assessed, using appropriate assessment methods.
Within the overall grade, the contribution of components varies between subjects. See the syllabus for details
For example, for Cambridge International AS level Sciences, candidates are required to carry out practical work in timed conditions. This assessment consists of two or three experiments drawn from different areas of the AS level syllabus. This accounts for 23% of the overall grade.
The full qualification can be retaken at the next available opportunity.
Cambridge International AS level = 180 hours.
Higher education providers can expect to receive applications from overseas students holding Cambridge International AS levels
Higher education providers can also expect to receive applications from the UK, from students holding Cambridge International AS level, typically from the independent sector, some state schools, and crown dependency countries, e.g. the Isle of Man and Channel Islands.
UK NARIC has carried out an independent benchmarking of Cambridge International AS level and found it comparable to the standard of UK AS level.
Learners use Cambridge International AS & A levels to gain places at universities worldwide including:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- The Netherlands
Results are released in mid-January for November sessions.
Results are released in mid-August for June sessions.
Results are released in June for the March session (India only).
This qualification is current.
Cambridge publishes annual certification information on its website at: www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/results-statistics/
It also submits certification information to UCAS and individual institutions worldwide.
Students can generally expect their grades to be accepted as comparable, grade for grade, to UK AS level grades by universities worldwide.
Further information is available as follows:
Cambridge International AS & A level: www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/
Cambridge International AS & A level syllabuses: www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/subjects/
Cambridge International AS & A level recognition: www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/recognition/
Cambridge International AS & A level factsheet – a guide for universities: www.cie.org.uk/images/255120-cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-factsheet-english.pdf