- To provide an advanced qualification, recognised worldwide, which can support progression to higher education internationally.
- To meet the needs of international students.
- Have been available internationally for teaching in core subjects since 2016.
- The first cohort of students took AS in summer 2017, and a first group of students will take A level in 2018.
- Examinations are available to students throughout the Middle East, South East Asia, and China.
- Are not available to schools in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or in British Forces overseas schools.
- Are not regulated by Ofqual and do not appear on the Register of Regulated Qualifications
- Oxford International AQA Examinations
Modular. The International AS can be taken as a standalone qualification, or can be used to count towards the international A level.
- English language
- English literature
- Further mathematics
- Level 3
Comparable to Level 3 of the Regulatory Frameworks in England, Northern Ireland, and Wales.
Graded at subject level A* – E.
All subjects are assessed by written external examinations.
- Unit 1: Language and Context, two hours
- Unit 2: Language and society, two hours
- Unit 1: Aspects of dramatic tragedy, two hours, (closed book)
- Unit 2: Place in literary texts, two hours (open book)
- P1 Pure mathematics, one hour and 30 minutes
- PSM1 Pure mathematics, statistics, and mechanics, one hour and 30 minutes
- s-FP1, Pure mathematics, one hour and 30 minutes
- FPSM1 Pure mathematics, statistics and mechanics, one hour and 30 minutes.
- Unit 1: The diversity of living organisms, one hour and 30 minutes
- Unit 2: Biological systems and disease, one hour and 30 minutes.
- Unit 1: Inorganic 1 and Physical 1, one hour and 30 minutes
- Unit 2: Organic 1 and Physical 1, one hour and 30 minutes.
- Unit 1: Mechanics, materials, and atoms, two hours
- Unit 2: Electricity, waves, and particles, two hours
- Unit 1: Business and markets, one hour and 30 minutes
- Unit 2: Managing operations, human resources, and finance, one hour and 30 minutes
- Unit 1: Physical geography, one hour and 30 minutes
- Unit 2: Human geography 1, one hour and 30 minutes
- Unit 1: Introductory topics in Psychology, one hour and 30 minutes
- Unit 2: Bio-psychology, Development, and Research methods, one hour and 30 minutes
For each AS, unit 1 is 50% and unit 2 is 50%.
- Students can resit units as many times as they like.
- Students can resit the qualification by resitting one or more units.
- Resits are available in January and June.
- Higher education providers can expect to receive applications from overseas students holding International A levels.
- Since they are not available in UK schools, higher education providers will not receive applications from UK educated students holding International A levels.
- UK NARIC has carried out an independent benchmarking of International A and AS levels, and found them comparable to the standard of UK A and AS levels.
- Learners use International A and AS levels to gain places at universities worldwide, including UK, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UAE, Malaysia, Singapore, and China.
- Assessments take place in January and June.
- Results are issued in March and August.
- Candidates receive their certificates in May and October.
- AS biology, chemistry, and physics available for teaching from September 2016, and assessment from June 2017.
- AS English language, English literature, mathematics, and further mathematics available for teaching from September 2017, and assessment June 2018.
- AS business, geography, and psychology available for teaching from September 2018, and assessment June 2019.
Arrangements to be confirmed in future years as entries grow.
Students can generally expect that their grades will be accepted as equivalent, grade for grade, to UK A and AS grades by universities worldwide.
Oxford International AQA Examinations is a joint venture between AQA and Oxford University Press, a department of the University of Oxford. These qualifications are administered and awarded by AQA, on behalf of Oxford International AQA Examinations, using the same quality control procedures and quality standards applied to the GCE qualifications which AQA operates within the regulated UK market. Further information can be found at: www.oxfordaqaexams.org.uk/subjects.